Railway Museum

  • Get to know it in 30 minutes
In 1914 it was under construction the train line which connected Montevideo with the east zone. At first the line was not going to stop at Pan de Azúcar, but to continue to San Carlos directly. Thanks to the efforts of Juan Pedro Bonilla, this line would have its stop at Pan de Azúcar.

Knowing this, Francisco Piria begins the construction of its domestic train and ends it in 1916. There were 18,000 meters of track connected the station of Pand de Azúcar with Piriapolis port, passing throught the quarries, workshops, boulevards and hotels plus other optional diversions. A total of 36,000 quebracho wood sticks were placed to hold the track of 0.75 meters width. Five German locomotives manufactured by Orenstein & Koppel were the ones that ran over the roads, often pushing up to 12 wagons, reaching speeds of up to 70 kilometers per hour with their 125 horsepower.

In 1959 the president of AFE (State Railways Administration) Oscar D. Gestido ordered the cancellation of rail service in the area arguing economic losses. Neighbors mobilized against it, but could not prevent the removal of the locomotives that were carried to Empalme Olmos and irreversibly dismantled. 
Today in the open air museum you can see a replica of one of the locomotives in a guided tour.